The Galleria dell’Accademia
houses the very famous Michelangelo´s David (Picture 3) (tel. 055 294 883; Via Ricasoli 60;
open 8.15am- 6.50pm, closed Mon). The statue was begun by two different
sculptors who abandoned the project until Michelangelo took up the work and created this
perfect piece. It was sculpted in one huge block of marble and originally
placed in Piazza della Signoria. Other works by Michelangelo which were
made for Julius II
tomb are San Matteo
(1540-08), which was not finished, and Prisoners
, Taddeo Gaddi, Ghirlandaio, Filippino Lippi and Sandro Botticelli
are represented in the other rooms.
In the university area of Florence lies the Church of Saint Mark
and its15th century monastery (Picture 1) once the home of Fra’Angelico and Savonarola
You cannot leave Florence without visiting its Museo di San Marco
. The museum is housed in the monastery (tel. 055 238 86 08; Piazza San
Marco 1; open 8.15am, to 1.50 Tue-Fri, to 4.50pm Sat, to 4.50 on the
2nd and 4th Sun, and 1st and 3rd and 5th Mon each month). Particularly devoted to Fra Angelico’s works, the museum is a must
From the Cloister of Saint Antoninus
whose entrance is on Via Michelozzo, enter the Sala dell’Ospizio
which is on the right. Here are exhibited Fra Angelico‘s most important paintings, among which is Deposition of Christ
, at first destined for the Chiesa di Santa Trinità. It is a true demonstration of Realism and perspective.
displays the Miraculous Supper of Saint Domenic
(1536) by Giovanni Antonio Sogliani. The enormous Crucifixion
by Fra’ Angelico
is in the ancient chapterhouse. To inspire the monks their cells were
individually painted. Fra’ Angelico or other artists directed by him
completed the paintings between 1440 and 1441. Among the artists was
Benozzo Gozzoli. Cell 38-39 is decorated with the Adoration of the Magi
(Picture 2). It was Cosimo the Elder’s cell when he decided to devote himself to religion.
cell devoted to San Antonino Arcivescovo is absolutely stunning. On its
walls you can see Jesus pushing a demon while opening his own
sepulchre. Fra’ Angelico was finally canonized by John Paul II.
rooms in the monastery are a world apart. After becoming prior of the
monastery, he angrily complained that the clergy was greedy and had succumbed to extravagance and dishonesty. His portrait, a few belongings, a
linen banner he used to hold when there was a procession and a monument
some admirers devoted to him in the 19th century are kept here.